Saturday, February 18, 2012

Trekkies Go Mainstream

As you have no doubt noticed, I've taken a brief hiatus from dissecting Star Trek episodes.  This is going to happen every two weeks, when my kids come to visit.  Things will get much more interesting in May, when my fiancee and her two kids move in.

In any event, regular posting will resume tomorrow.  Until then, take a look at this interesting video from 1979 on the phenomenon known as 'Trekkies':


A couple of interesting things that caught my attention.  Apparently Uhura was fourth in command on the original Enterprise, behind Kirk, Spock, and Sulu --- though that certainly hasn't been made clear in any of the episodes I've seen so far.  Second, Downs makes references to hard-core fans watching "all 79" episodes of the original series.

Of course, at the time this report aired, the original pilot "The Cage" still hadn't been broadcast, and was presumed lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment